Sunday, February 10, 2008

"I don't have any "anak angkat"

February 10, 2008 18:05 PM

I Don't Have Any Adopted Child, Says Abdullah

BUTTERWORTH, Feb 10 (Bernama) -- "I don't have any "anak angkat" (adopted child) and I've never asked anyone to do anything about election candidates," Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said Sunday.

Asked on reports about certain people claiming that they have been made "anak angkat" by the prime minister and have been given the "blessing" to pick potential candidates for the upcoming general election, Abdullah said candidly, "Who's my anak angkat?"

He was speaking at a news conference after meeting Penang Umno divisional youth chiefs and chairing Kepala Batas Umno division meeting.

Abdullah, who is Umno president, said he had never asked anyone to determine the candidates' lists for the election.

He said the list would be forwarded to him only by the respective state Umno liaison committees.

"Don't believe them. I've not asked anyone to do anything (about election candidates). When the time comes, I will receive the candidates' lists from the state Umno," he added.

On Friday, Umno information chief Tan Sri Muhammad Muhammad Taib revealed that certain people have been going around claiming that they were the prime minister's "adopted son" and had the powers to determine candidates' line-up.

-- BERNAMA